Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum evolution

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum evolution Empty Forum evolution

Post by vanwall Tue 22 Dec - 0:33

From Rob Ryder, December 17, 1960 thread: It is your problem if you are annoyed by the occasional duplicate.. I am sure when you pass 1000 posts you will have posted a few yourself (and with luck someone will warn you about it!)

From Goodwood95, December 18, 1960 thread: Here are just 5 or 6 Persons who put their collections online. If all of this Persons just put pictures online like you (100 in one year) where would be the Collection now?

I continue the conversation here because both Rob Ryder and Goodwood95 have enlarged the topic and I don’t want to hijack the 1960 section with some soon to be forgotten conversation.

The tirade below was on my mind for a while and Rob Ryder and Goodwood provided the opportunity to phrase it.

Goodwood :
A few duplicates here and there is normal and doesn ‘t bother me at all.
Vasko for instance, does close to one duplicate per day on average and I never told him.
I only raised the matter this time because you posted more than 20 duplicates in one day.

Typically in this gentlemen’s forum, when someone points to a mistake, the common reaction is « oops, sorry,»  Not this time. why ?

I’m surprised by the passive-aggressive reaction of you both. My translation of your comments is: 1000+ posters are more entitled than (put your own definition here, eg : losers ? ) with only 100 posts.

I will never reach 1.000 posts … and I wish no one  did either.

I will never reach 1.000 posts because my main F1 focus are good to great old color photos and exceptional B&W photos of the 50s and early 60s.
The supply of 50’s good color pictures is limited compared to the 70s and later years. So the number of my posts is by definition limited.

Why do you care about the number of posts ?
I wish no one would reach 1.000 posts because my focus is quality. For some posters, the focus seems to be quantity. (This particular comment does not apply to you Rob Ryder ; you are selective with what you post).

Why do i think photo quality should be a priority?
I can’t think of anything that is progressing faster than digital imagery.

The resolution of the iPhone 1 screen in 2007 was 320 pixels and it was capable of 2 megapixels photos.
The 2015 iPhone 6 screen has a 1920 pixel screen and takes 12megapixels pics (and 4K video). A six-fold progress in 8 years !

If we don’t raise the standard of the photos continously, in a few years the forum will look like GranPa’s forum.

I would like to mention here that Vasko is a good example of what I recommend. The picture quality of his postings improves continuously (and the number of duplicates decreases  Wink ).

For instance, Brian Watson photos were 800 pixels for years but last year were upgraded to 1600 pixels. Our forum mostly has the 800pix photos.
http://www.brianwatsonphoto.co.uk/FormulaOne/historic_F1_events.html

Getty Images samples went from 500 to 1024 pixels.

Schlegelmilch photos were B&W until 1969 and color from 1970.

And then, since last year we have the impressive Revs Library at Stanford.

The quality of pictures posted in the forum should improve every year. If not, we regress.

My prediction if we don’t evolve faster : 3 years from now, new members will be overwhelmed by the quantity available and underwhelmed by the quality of many photos, making the search for good photos tedious for most newcomers.

The easiest way to improve quality? Post fewer photos. Be selective.

OK,  I spoke my peace. I’m ready for the execution.

Happy Holidays to all.

Last edited by vanwall on Tue 22 Dec - 16:04; edited 5 times in total

vanwall
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Forum evolution Empty Re: Forum evolution

Post by Rob Ryder Tue 22 Dec - 10:48

Vanwall you have stated your opinions clearly and I respect your position, so no execution Wink

On the duplicate matter, I think it will be easier when the Race by Race topics are up to date. Also some sort of indexing in the Race by Race collection would be helpful.
Checking this topic plus maybe the last 2 pages of a 'Year' topic should be enough and this should mean less duplicates overall.
I made the comment to Goodwood regarding your original post to give him support and ease any worries he could have about posting duplicates.
To my mind better a few duplicated are better than no posts at all!

About quality/quantity. In the main I am with you on this, but it is to each his own.
Personally I do not like to see the forum clogged with images with large watermarks (©️) or logos (Motorsport.com) that have just been copied from another archive/website. These take too much focus away form the main purpose of any image. Smaller watermarks like those of Cahier and Schlegelmilch I can accept.

Thank you for realising that I try to be selective in my posts cheers , I will try to continue in the same way....

Have a good Xmas and New Year
Rob
Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by vanwall Thu 24 Dec - 5:36

Thank you Rob Ryder

vanwall
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Sun 27 Dec - 16:00

Dear friends. I know I'm late in working on the race by race serie, ad unfortunately I dont update it very often.
I think that it would help a lot to avoid duplicates. Unfortunately, there is a limit to the time I can give to the task.
I'll do my best, first to extend the indexation I tried for 1965 in other years, and also in completing the 60's.
Then, we'll see, depending on your wishes. I'll begin regular update when all years will have been done.

Happy New year everyone
wookey
wookey
Admin

https://wookey.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Sat 2 Jan - 15:32

I updated 1964 with indexation. Now it is done, it will be easier to update regularly. Still a way to go to have every year done thius way as this is quitye dull and takes time to do. Please give me time to do the same in other years, hopefully, I will do better then 2 years every month... Smile

Now I will resume posting race by year for 1963. Much more fun !
wookey
wookey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Ryder Sat 2 Jan - 16:29

Your work is really appreciated Wookey cheers cheers king
Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Ryder Wed 6 Jan - 22:16

vanwall

You attacked Goodwood95 for posting a few duplicates.

You attacked vasko13598 for posting a few duplicates.

Today you attack me for posting a few duplicates.

No comments from you on the improved quality of the images
No 'thank you' from you to anyone for the thousands of images we have posted.

If I were the Moderator of this Forum I would delete your account and ban you from re-registering for being such an ungrateful bastard...

Oh yes... HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!
Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Thu 7 Jan - 15:35

I second the point of view of Rob Ryder. I will not delete you this time Vanwall, but I urge you to adopt a wiser behaviour. I regard this forum as a gentlemen's club and wait everyone here to behave properly.

We all have posted or will post duplicates one day. Nobody is perfect. The only one who will never post duplicates is the one who posts Nothing. And his place is not into this club.

Thanks in advance.
wookey
wookey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Winners311 Fri 8 Jan - 2:40

I red only now this new topic... sorry I'm very busy with university... I think that all of us have need to be careful in posting duplicates, but at the same time I think that "only who acts, can go wrong"!
So vanwall I think that each member in this forum is interested in a little part, seventies, ninenties... it is not important, we mainly contribute to what we prefer... High quality unknown photos are always rarer to find, so be patient...
A little think to you Rob, I don't like too images with big watermark, at the same time I have to recognize that these photos are better than nothing and in a lot of situations we have only watermarked photos for a driver during a Gp.

I hope to dedicate more time to this forum than in last month...

We are doing a great work, all togheter, we haven't to forget that this forum is a passion,not a place where create troubles!!

Happy new year again to all members!!!
Winners311
Winners311
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vanwall Fri 8 Jan - 19:22

Wow ! Aren’t we a wee bit sensitive ...
So I was right after all when I said earlier « I’m ready for my execution ». I was just wrong by a few days.
I didn’t realize that pointing to duplicates was an « attack » and such an offense.

I just want to say that in a trivial exchange like this one, gentlemen usually don’t  say "sod off" or " ungrateful bastard " like you did. At least, it’s not the way my mama raised me.

As far as banning me, I have good news for you : I’ll take a long vacation from the forum. Not because of you, but because of Wookey’s subsequent comment. He’s after all the boss, and if he supports you in spite of your insulting language, my contribution here requires some reflection.
Shame on you mr. Bondurant for tolerating insults in your forum.

I’ll return to the forum the day when flagging some duplicates is acceptable and insulting forum members is not.

Later today, I’ll do a farewell posting (and I’ll make sure to include a duplicate  Wink ).
It’s a thank you  to all members for the great moments I enjoyed in the forum, and it’s previous iteration, with a particular thank you to Rob Ryder for the many pictures he posted all these years and the knowledge he shared.

All the best,
philip

Ps : By the way, below are copies of a few « thank you » posts I addressed to you this past year. Please show me yours when you have time.

Forum evolution KCT4lmQF

vanwall
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next