Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02?

+5
vico
Edge_CMT
NickF60_CMT
Cubentis
cecelo
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02? Empty Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02?

Post by Cristian Luis Fri 27 May - 22:08

Almost 20 years have passed since this game came out, and from my own viewpoint I can say the whole community is more alive than ever in its last 8 or 9 years. F1 Challenge '99-'02' is living its best times since RaceSimulations' fall at December 2012.

My questions is for everyone, newcomers and veterans.

Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02? There are a lot of new sims out there and the achievable quality will be always superior, so I believe everyone who wants to keep with this game instead must have profoundly singular reasons.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

https://f1challenge9902repository.blogspot.com.es/

EvangelionTitus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02? Empty Re: Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02?

Post by cecelo Sat 28 May - 0:36

Hi Cristian Luis, a little testimonial. (Sorry if there are any mistakes in English, I'm using google translator)  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
One of the reasons for me, besides enjoying playing and modifying this game, is that the newer games have a very high FPS and this causes me something that many people have and don't even know they have, which is called Cinetose. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cinetose - Motion sickness is the result of an incompatibility between the movement seen and the sensation perceived by the ears, more specifically by the vestibular apparatus, a group of organs located in the inner area of ??the ear and responsible for body balance.

I don't know if in more modern games there is a possibility to configure the FPS, leaving it at a number that doesn't cause me this discomfort.

In real life, when I drive my car on some winding road this problem doesn't occur because I'm just in charge. But if I'm in the back seat of the vehicle as a passenger I end up getting sick. My technique for this not happening when I'm a passenger, is to keep my eyes ahead looking at the road, as if I were driving. By doing this nothing wrong happens.

At the time that F1C was released I bought it and I was hoping this wouldn't happen because I had bought and played GP4 before and I couldn't play at all. Unfortunately rFactor1 also causes me this problem.  Sad

That to me is the main reason. Smile Smile Smile
F1C never dies! Cool Cool Cool
cecelo
cecelo
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02? Empty Re: Which are your personal reasons to keep modding or playing F1 Challenge '99-'02?

Post by Cubentis Sat 28 May - 2:14

for me
the fact that it is easy to put some add on to this game
modifing things and there to helmets, livery, drivers, background , hud, tracks
ive been modeling my game folder for years and i am very proud of this F1 encyclopedia
its things i cant do with most moderns games

the passion of the creators still delivering content even after all those years .
what can i say more, we are so lucky, as a fan perspective
to be able to have cars from every year of formula 1 in one single game
i cant thank all these creators enough, they offered me so much.

i always loved driving
and this ''simulator'' is giving me the opportunity to test so many cars and tracks from around the world
some historic tracks, that are part of this great story that is formula 1 .

i just hope i could still be able in the future to have a cpu that is able to run this old game, i want to keep it for eternity
never want to loose it.
its part of my life, its a friend

Cubentis
Cubentis
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by NickF60_CMT Sat 28 May - 2:45

For me it started when i discovered F1 2002 circa 2006; one year later I discovered this game and it could run decently on my PC (that wasn't very powerful for the standard at the time).

Time passed and in 2012 i upgraded to a better PC, so I started to try another games, mainly rFactor, it became my choice of playing for 2 or 3 years. But with all the time that i had played on F1C something felt off, evenmore i think most of the modding scene in rF was migrating to newer games, so there i was watching some mods that started to appear on F1C and i returned to my game of preference.

In 2015 I started to make my first experiments with painting and some little modelling. The ease for modding (talking in a general way) in this game captured my attention and since i did not move from playing it and painting for it (I dont count modelling as i do so little that i dont take it into account.) and here I am, 15 years later still playing and now, trying to contribute to this awesome community!

Cheers Smile
NickF60_CMT
NickF60_CMT
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Cristian Luis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Sat 28 May - 12:08

From Jose:

"I am not in Wookey's Forum so I will speak here. The sole reason why I stay in F1C is because there is no other simulator where I can emulate retro F1 (especially 2009-1983) in its full glory, as in these parts, I have tried hundreds of F1 mods from different simulators. None have convinced me beyond F1C due to lack of contents, terrible bugs, unspeakable AI or broken physics, and when I refer to F1C it is CMT to be exact because it improves everything in every aspect imaginable. If CMT didn't exist I wouldn't be around here (perhaps in a "forced" way). I would have gone to Race07, GTR2, GT Legends, Nascar 2003 (the father of iRacing) or Richard Burns Rally, abandoning the idea of having fun with retro F1. rFactor Classics I don't like it, even though there are good mods, the disastrous AI shits everything. From modern simulators I hate races that uses one or two car models for all teams with equal or similar physics or doesn't have the full trackpack with the correct sponsors of each track, people hyping because of a sad announcement of a car or of a track that should be in the game since its inception is beyond me. Most sims doesn't recreate a f1 racing series and complete packages of retro-f1 with no AI errors are non-existent except for this game.

In simple summary, CMT's works and the good communities around F1 Challenge (with some of them allowing CMT's work) are the only reason that keeps me here."
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Edge_CMT Thu 2 Jun - 4:27

Well. Guess i´m next. Embarassed

I´m a sort of "frustrated potential racing driver" Laughing since i was a little kid in mid and late 80's i watched a lot of F1 races (my first F1 race was 1985 Dutch GP at my aunt´s house) i grew up watching Senna, Prost, Piquet and Mansell in all their glory, i dreamed so much about to be "the next F1 big thing" and i tried to start my racing driver journey. However due to lack of physical attributes (when i had 8 y/o i had a 4 y/o height) also i hadn´t so much support from mom and dad, i had many chances to join professional kart teams in the mid and late 90's as well as a Ford sponsored racing school but financial support didn´t arrive. I was very good in racing games such Gran Turismo, or EA´s F1 Games for Playstation and Nintendo 64, even i won several tournaments and prizes (you know, money and discounts tickets to buy games) My first F1C experience was in late 2004 when i join a tournament using Prototype C mod, i won in the 3.5 L Category using the Toyota TS010 car  Laughing after that i go to college and started to work and i walked away from racing games until 2012 when i met in Facebook some F1 Challenge groups (especially one of some leechy guy that maybe you guys know very well Rolling Eyes Laughing ) i ran from 2013 to 2016 in that FB group but i fed up and walked away (very few people know the whole history, maybe i can tell it later because is veeeeeeryyyy spicy pirat ) until in some point of 2017 that CMT and I crossed paths rabbit  

CMT gave me a purpose. CMT gave me another point of view. CMT approached me to a childhood dream. CMT reignited me an old love.  

So. I´m here ! Very Happy
Edge_CMT
Edge_CMT
Competition racer
Competition racer

TanoV12, NickF60_CMT and EvangelionTitus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by vico Sun 30 Oct - 21:48

Late reply, but the main reasons is because its relatively easier to mod than modern racing games, have options to smother regular gamepads's axis movement (in rf1 for example is almost unplayable steering using Xbox/Dualshock analogs), not counting the nostalgia factor of both the game itself and the vanilla seasons covered.

I really wish someone would try to mod the game to fix the compatibility issues, add modern features to the game, like PNG i/o for textures, support for Xinput (the modern api for gamepads on Windows), and maybe add a scripting engine to allow for "plugins" - scripts that could add things like UIs and change aspects of the game - to be written for F1C.

There is precedent for bugfix mods like these for GTA III-era games (III, VC and SA), and in fact i made a thread on Mixmods (largest Brazilian modding community about GTA III-era games and other contemporary games like NFSU2) forums calling for someone on there that have experience fixing those kind of games using Ultimate ASI Loader, unfortuantely still didnt get any reply, but who knows what the tide will bring?..

vico
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by skandre7 Tue 1 Nov - 13:25

vico wrote:

I really wish someone would try to mod the game to fix the compatibility issues, add modern features to the game, like PNG i/o for textures, support for Xinput (the modern api for gamepads on Windows), and maybe add a scripting engine to allow for "plugins" - scripts that could add things like UIs and change aspects of the game - to be written for F1C.

What do you mean compatibility issues? EvilClip's exe works on Win7/10/11 without problems.
skandre7
skandre7
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Tue 1 Nov - 14:17

skandre7 wrote:
vico wrote:

What do you mean compatibility issues? EvilClip's exe works on Win7/10/11 without problems.

Probably he doesn't know. F1C Multiplayer Discord is quite known from F1C players, but for veteran modders, Wookey's Forum is the absolute king. What happens outside here for some of the forum users is unknown.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by jdavidson89 Sun 6 Nov - 14:27

Also as a heads up i know Its a fringe group of users in my boat but compatibility is a null point i run f1c on linux and could probably walk anyone through getting it running on any system(no mac experience sorry im sure its doable though) as an aside and back to the question i find it is the best mix of features in a racing sim, yes rf2 is great but its too?system heavy for me personally eye candy isnt as good for me as smoothness. Rf1 though has features i wish were backported is missing features i care about. And i dont touch non isimotor sims isimotor rocks. Sports car gt is good too but a little too dated in my eyes and gtr1 and gtr2 i never cared for the menu layouts. I personally am trying to learn c programming and want to make my own open source racing sim but thats a long time away if ever

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next