Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later Empty The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later

Post by Cristian Luis Tue 15 Aug - 19:51

During these last days, I have installed Windows 10 Months ago, I tried to use the Logitech G920 in F1 Challenge '99-'02. It didn't work.

...until I discovered a post from Ical_Everon in NoGripRacing forums:

Ical_Everon wrote:Hi guys,

This is the way I run F1C in win 7 64-32 without problem,
mods works fine, track mods could saved replays, and NO distorted sounds:

Download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit

Instal it then run Compatibility Administrator:
Click New to create custom Compatibility - give a name, or directly rename current new profile (New Database(1)).
Click Fix - give a name, choose .exe - clik Next.
Make sure all compatibility mode choice is uncheck in 'Create new Application Fix' window, click Next.
This is it --> check (enable) only EmulateHeap, click Next - Finish.
Click Save - give a name, choose location folder.
Click File -> instal.
Close Compatibility Administrator.

And F1 Hero F1 Challenge '99-'02 worked like a charm, without using Windows 95/98 compatibility mode.

But not the Logitech G920. The input device was not compatible with F1C in that configuration. This turned out to be a big problem, because I had the impression that F1 Hero F1 Challenge '99-'02 was impossible to play with nowadays steering wheels for sim-racing. In conclusion, running F1C with Win95/98 configuration mode will become obsolete and unviable because of software evolution and the apparition of new sim-racing wheels in the future.

Now we are on the present again.

I discovered that (at the moment) without Matrox Cards, the maximum possible resolution is 1600x1200. I am searching a way to make F1C work in 1920x1080 resolutions. Not success to this day yet.
https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20842101_1775542162737181_3681658901343416301_n.jpg?oh=5292b98671645283b6cb7ff3f95e102c&oe=5A213617

And I discovered the replacement of Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit:
Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit.

This is the tool you need to install and configure in Windows 8 or later.

Everything works for me. Logitech G920 works for F1 Challenge '99-'02. And most of the actual sim-racing steering wheels works too.

But I need YOUR feedback.

Is this really the ultimate solution?

This is in your hands.

Please, try my step-by-step guide for playing F1 Challenge '99-'02 without compatibility configurations. This is my first version of it.

The guide is available in Spanish, English and Portuguese:

https://mega.nz/#!5lcRgZYT!UJ_UK5YNgoiyM6Ut8kcRZnkX6506HsFxnn-Rzvv4Rkk

Portuguese translation by d4nf1c.

Best luck.

Cristian Luis.

Last edited by Cristian Luis on Wed 8 Apr - 13:59; edited 2 times in total
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

https://f1challenge9902repository.blogspot.com.es/

Back to top Go down

The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later Empty Re: The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later

Post by d4nf1c Wed 16 Aug - 7:30

I'll try it now and send you the feedback as soon as I can.
Thanks for looking for it, Cristian!
Best wishes.
d4nf1c
d4nf1c
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later Empty Re: The ultimate solution to play F1 Challenge '99-'02 in Windows 7 or later

Post by d4nf1c Thu 17 Aug - 13:47

Cristian, I made it work without compatibility issues in a laptop with Windows 10. Some sound coughing, though, but most likely due to specs. I think you've found it. Thanks a lot. Best wishes.
d4nf1c
d4nf1c
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Thu 17 Aug - 14:54

d4nf1c wrote:Cristian, I made it work without compatibility issues in a laptop with Windows 10. Some sound coughing, though, but most likely due to specs. I think you've found it. Thanks a lot. Best wishes.

That's good to hear, d4nf1c.

If you can play F1 Challenge '99-'02 without using Windows 95/98 compatibility mode (like you are in Windows XP), the guide has accomplished its commitment!

Thanks for your wishes.
Cristian
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Thu 17 Aug - 15:42

Well, just to make things clear : is there any issue if I keep my present wheel that works? (chen the game works of course)
wookey
wookey
Admin

https://wookey.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Thu 17 Aug - 16:58

Wookey wrote:Well, just to make things clear : is there any issue if I keep my present wheel that works? (chen the game works of course)

No. The whole process for making F1C compatibility is about creating a database, preparing the game for give it the "EmulateHeap" property and then install the contents of the new database file you have created. This just improves game compatibility (the one you have selected).

If your steering wheel works well and you can play F1C in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode, there is no need to install WADT or MACT.

Regards,
Cristian
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by d4nf1c Sat 19 Aug - 4:37

I've just tested it on the desktop I'm using for editing the 1981 mod whenever neiln sends his material to me and... it works!!! Wink

Cristian, thanks for all this research you've been doing. I think this will end up finally solving the incompatibility problem for all those who have it. If you want it, it will be my pleasure to translate your manual to Portuguese as well. I know you have English and Spanish covered, so that's the least I can do as a form of spreading your findings.

For those who have been playing F1C all this time with Win95/98 compatibility mode, it really works! It's a sort of long download (the full pack of WADK is around 6 GB, but hopefully it will be the solution for most incompatibility issues you might have had with any game, starting by our beloved F1C.

Once more, thanks, Cristian.
Best wishes,
d4nf1c
d4nf1c
d4nf1c
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Sat 19 Aug - 12:31

d4nf1c wrote:I've just tested it on the desktop I'm using for editing the 1981 mod whenever neiln sends his material to me and... it works!!! Wink

Cristian, thanks for all this research you've been doing. I think this will end up finally solving the incompatibility problem for all those who have it. If you want it, it will be my pleasure to translate your manual to Portuguese as well. I know you have English and Spanish covered, so that's the least I can do as a form of spreading your findings.

For those who have been playing F1C all this time with Win95/98 compatibility mode, it really works! It's a sort of long download (the full pack of WADK is around 6 GB, but hopefully it will be the solution for most incompatibility issues you might have had with any game, starting by our beloved F1C.

Once more, thanks, Cristian.
Best wishes,
d4nf1c

The one who discovered this fix (it seems) is Ical Everon. I just go further and "discovered" the rest.

Feel free to translate the manual if you want. I can give you the template. You will need Microsoft Word 2016.

But wait for that. We (me and Marta) are doing a second edition. The Spanish version of the manual will be released too.

Regards,
Cristian
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Mon 21 Aug - 10:58

Link updated. Now the guide is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese.

Portuguese translation by d4nf1c.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantin Wed 8 Jan - 19:09

Hi to all community!
I think I need your help. Now I have Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 (that worked fine with 95 or 98 compatibility) but can't start F1C. Also I've installed WADK and tried to make it work with Compatibility Manager using instructions. But I still can't launch F1C, nothing is happening after double-clicking on shortcut icon.

Maybe this problem is connected with graphical processor. I have GeForce MX230 as high-performanced GPU and Intel UHD Graphics 620 as integrated GPU. I assigned high-performanced GPU as a base for both F1C and 3DConfig but 3DConfig "saw" only integrated GPU.

Maybe someone had this problem before. Thank you in advance!
Best wishes,
Konstantin
Konstantin
Konstantin
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next