Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DSC F1 Projects & Downloads

+7
Lee67
dragonsteincole
Cristian Luis
Garcia
Luigi 70
GV40
McLeod
11 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 Empty Re: DSC F1 Projects & Downloads

Post by dragonsteincole Sun 17 Jul - 20:37

Two problems that have come up in fixing certain parts of my '75 car:

- What exactly causes the 'long shadow' bug, and how is it fixed? I replaced the two previous RWS and FWS models, that had little relation to the actual FWA and RWA models on the car, but have now introduced this bug. I would try something to fix this, but I have no idea what is actually broken.

- Importing the rainlight in Zmodeler in order to move it into a better position seems to completely screw up the textures. Looking for BMP files instead of the TGA files it's assigned to use before the model is exported.

I want to actually learn how to fix these issues rather than learn to live with them. So any help would be appreciated.
dragonsteincole
dragonsteincole
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luigi 70 Sun 17 Jul - 21:23

1. For the long shadows, you must create two small triangular surfaces and put them to the extreme sides of the car shadow file (file xxxvs.mts).
DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 Longshadow
2. For rainlight, after you export the .mts files from zmodeller, you have to open it in 3dsimed and apply the material in tga format, and to export again in mts. format.

Or you can try with a dummy (as for driver arms):
Spoiler:
Luigi 70
Luigi 70
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonsteincole Sun 17 Jul - 21:43

1. So it's not the RWS or FWS files that create the shadows, but the car model? That is good to know, as it was those two files I was focusing on. I will see about fixing that now.

2. Understood. I always had the preconception that exporting a model from 3DSimEd was bad. had problems with wheels in the past, but I will try this again. And the dummy file is something I can focus on too.

Thank you very much for you help, it is always appreciated as it helps myself and anyone else who reads this to improve ourselves. Smile
dragonsteincole
dragonsteincole
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Sun 17 Jul - 21:46

Luigi 70 wrote:1. For the long shadows, you must create two small triangular surfaces and put them to the extreme sides of the car shadow file (file xxxvs.mts).
DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 Longshadow
2. For rainlight, after you export the .mts files from zmodeller, you have to open it in 3dsimed and apply the material in tga format, and to export again in mts. format.

Or you can try with a dummy (as for driver arms):
Spoiler:

Wow...

Luigi... Could you upload that small triangular 3d model?

I mean, a small kit (3do template) for fixing shadows.

For example, two triangles to the extreme sides of the car shadow in a Z3D file.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

https://f1challenge9902repository.blogspot.com.es/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luigi 70 Sun 17 Jul - 23:55

Cristian Luis wrote:
Wow...

For example, two triangles to the extreme sides of the car shadow in a Z3D file.

it's the same triangle of the dummy arms, but the placement varies depending on the total length of the cars (including front and rear wings) can not therefore create a standard for any mod...

Last edited by Luigi 70 on Sun 17 Jul - 23:59; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : best explanation)
Luigi 70
Luigi 70
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Mon 18 Jul - 16:54

Luigi 70 wrote:
Cristian Luis wrote:
Wow...

it's the same triangle of the dummy arms, but the placement varies depending on the total length of the cars (including front and rear wings) can not therefore create a standard for any mod...

Ou... okey, understood.

Thanks for answering, Luigi.

Could you send only the 3D triangle (at least)? I seek make do with only that.

Regards!
Cristian
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

https://f1challenge9902repository.blogspot.com.es/

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonsteincole Mon 18 Jul - 17:07

Even if you don't use Zmodeler too often, it's a simple thing to make, rather than downloading what would probably be a 1kb file.

- Open/import the VS.mts model for the car you're editing.
- In the right menu, click CREATE > FACES > SIMPLE
- In the top view, focus on where you reckon the front wing would start on the car, and click once to make the first point of the triangle, then click twice to finish and create the triangle.
- Repeat the process for where the rear wing ends, so you should have two triangles.
- Select the entire object (which should select the VS model, and the two little triangles.
- In the Materials Browser, find the material assigned to the VS model (usually with BLACk or BRBLK in the name), and click ASSIGN TO SELECTION. That way the triangles are now painted black like the rest of the model.
- Export the vs model, put in the MAS file/loose in the folder and test the car on track.
dragonsteincole
dragonsteincole
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonsteincole Mon 18 Jul - 17:10

Having a little think about this, there are a few tutorials listed in the Downloads topic, but it occurs to me that something like a 'Knowledge Base' topic, or even a sub-forum could be useful for a few people on here, myself included. I was in the dark about the long shadow bug for so many years, and a lot of knowledge was lost from Racesimulations that is maybe known by some but lost to others. Whilst Luigi has kindly provided the solution for the Long Shadows, there are more things I'd like to know, such as what Materials and textures correspond to LCD textures, things like that which can help people create more detailed models and such.
dragonsteincole
dragonsteincole
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Tue 19 Jul - 15:42

I'm not sure about creating one more subforum. But if you initiate an interesting knowledge base topic, I can stick it up in front of all topics, with the downloads etc..
wookey
wookey
Admin

https://wookey.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonsteincole Thu 28 Jul - 0:43

I've been going through efforts to update the DSC cars, to essentially create '2.0' versions of them, which update and fix them to a standard reflecting the progress I've made over the last few years. I will not be releasing them for a bit, as I'm aiming to get all the DSC M01 cars done first (Which covers 1973-1975, and the 1976 customer cars). I've been going through them in the F1-Seven mod installation order, and am ready to call 1975 done and dusted. To give you an idea of what these fixes are, here's a preview of the 1975 cars:

DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 DMoIEbbl

DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 PiLuJ6Gl

DSC F1 Projects & Downloads - Page 11 Kfdwv5Gl

- Three versions: Low, Normal and High downforce specifications, which are race-specific.
- Correct race and year numbers (So no clashes with existing cars).
- New driver helmet and body models and textures.
- Fixed mirrors in both cockpit and non-cockpit views.
- Detailed Dash (includes details like 3D switches and warning lights [Need help with HUD textures]).
- General 3D and texture tweaks and fixes across all parts.
- Correct shadows for all car versions (thank you to Luigi 70 and his fix for long shadows).
- Tweaked spinner models with individual shadows for all car versions (Removed the girl, and tidied up the shadow texture and model.
- Removed dependencies on non-year specific files (No 1974 files required for the 1975 car, etc.)
- 'Original' style backgrounds and icons (both styles will be included with the car, template for the old-style background will be released separately).
- Readme/token file with year summary and results, plus credits and thanks (Readme file will be stored in the F1C folder, so you can check what Mod and version you have installed).

==============
This is in addition to the other tasks and projects I have on-going. Including the 1979 RoC Aurora FX Cars, and two other 'mystery' projects.

In the future I also plan to tackle the Khausen WK, specifically the initial testing version, with the two unused liveries.
==============
dragonsteincole
dragonsteincole
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next