Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips for storing pictures

4 posters

Go down

Tips for storing pictures Empty Tips for storing pictures

Post by wookey Wed 7 Jan - 11:59

The 2 main Tools for keeping tracks of my pictures are the folders and sub folders on a hand and file naming on the other hand.

In my pictures main folder, I keep a folder for every year. Inside I list every race in separate subfolders.

eg. in my 1968 Folder are :
162SAF68
163ESP68
etc.. until
173MEX68

the first 3 digits are the # of the GP since the first (001GBR50)

I also keep separate sub folders for Non championship races, presentations and tests.

Inside each folder, I keep track of pictures by filenames.

Every file name is made of 2 parts :

eg

Tips for storing pictures 6026_ITA_image2_6

The image name is 6026_ITA_image2_6.jpg

60 is the year, 26 the race number, ITA the race, the rest is either the original filename (which helps eliminate doubles) or some precision on the content of the image. The same image could have been named eg. 6026_ITA_Munaron_at_Monza.jpg

Given that race numbers are easily available at StatsF1.com, this is enough to find all information on a car.
Ordering the info such allows for searching by Windows Explorer.

If I find a new picture of a car from 1960 numbered #26, but I dont know the race I can search for 6026 in my whole 1960 folder and see quickly if I already have a picture of the same car. The Munaron image will be amongst those to allow comparison.

Now what happens when I download yours, my friends, images?

If, like most top posters here, you have a similar way of naming pictures, I can use Lupas Rename to transform your images names in my system.

eg Winner names are often "26xyz.jpg" type. I simply use Lupas rename to add 60 first, then add ITA after the 4 first digits, and all his images will be transformed immediately to fit my system.

eg Vasko names are "60Monza26Munaron".JPG type. With Lupas, I can erase Monza, then add ITA after the 4 first digits. Just as Easy.

Others who use systems like "60Monza_Munaron_26.jpg" names or simply copy paste Facebook "10299942_703321946445478_9168838667828121623_n" style names give me more work. If there is relevant information in the name, I add my tag before, one by one. if Facebook random style, I simply rename more or less totally.

So this is why I insist on putting the race number at a fixed place in the filename. You make the work once, and for the others it is easy to manage with. If every uploader use random file naming, every downloader will have to rename every file one by one, which in total makes a much more heavier work burden for all the community. Adequate filenaming is not only a favor you do to others. It is a way to have more pleasure and less dull work in our passion for everyone.

I've been collecting mainly F1 pictures (1950 to 1994) for years now, and recently extended my interest towards F2, F5000 and Indy. I'm also fond of F1-MA from Argentina, and I store some more recent pictures, while not seeking them very actively.

I'm curious to know how you store your own collections, though. And what are your main fields of interests too Smile
wookey
wookey
Admin

https://wookey.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tips for storing pictures Empty Re: Tips for storing pictures

Post by Rob Ryder Wed 7 Jan - 14:53

Similar to Wookey, I have a folder for each year then a sub-folder for each GP, a sub-folder for Non-Championship races and a sub-folder for tests/misc.

Inside the subfolder I use filenames like.. 1960 Argentina 02 Porsche RSK Gregory (1).jpg
(Year Race Number Car driver).

I post using ImageShack and this was great because it retained my original filename.
In the past year ImageShack has started to rename when uploading (Evil or Very Mad) so I am afraid you will need to reaname my images when you save the. Crying or Very sad

Rob

I use the same system for F2, F3, saloons, sportscars etc.

Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodwood95 Wed 7 Jan - 16:48

I´m using Folders for each year with subfolder for each race and also subfolders for Test and NC Races.
My File System:
Year-GrandPrix-Starting #-Driver Name-Filenumber
Exsample:
1978-GER-01-Lauda-01
Goodwood95
Goodwood95
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Thu 8 Jan - 15:52

Very efficient for you and practical for renaming for others, thanks Smile
wookey
wookey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by f1asag Fri 23 Jan - 11:15

Hi guys,
I moment I have a problem that I do not know whether I did or something is wrong with Photobucketom.
I though I put in Wookey forum IMG thumb, this is displayed as big / actual image size /, I just want Thumb classic thumbnails, as I have done so far.

Old pictures uploaded are okay, but from a certain date, it's just big.

I have now added something to the section 1976 Shellsport ..... and I have again just large images.
I'm waiting for answers, what's wrong, let me look like an idiot.
f1asag
f1asag
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by wookey Fri 23 Jan - 14:40

Vasko and Goodwood use the same service, they might help?
wookey
wookey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodwood95 Fri 23 Jan - 17:19

f1asag wrote:Hi guys,
I moment I have a problem that I do not know whether I did or something is wrong with Photobucketom.
I though I put in Wookey forum IMG thumb, this is displayed as big / actual image size /, I just want Thumb classic thumbnails, as I have done so far.

Old pictures uploaded are okay, but from a certain date, it's just big.

I have now added something to the section 1976 Shellsport ..... and I have again just large images.
I'm waiting for answers, what's wrong, let me look like an idiot.
May you have the same problem I had.
There is a problem to create thumbs when the Filename has a blank digit.
Exp.: 2005-SAN-35-de la Rosa-01.jpg wrong photobucket is not able to create a thumbnail with this name.
Better: 2005-SAN-35-delaRosa-01.jpg or 2005-SAN-35-de_la_Rosa-01.jpg than photobucket will create the thumb.
That was my problem with the photobucket thumbs
I hope that helps a little bit
Goodwood95
Goodwood95
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by f1asag Fri 23 Jan - 17:26

Test: first without %20 second with %20, you are right, but I used these "names" long time and now problem, but many thanks.

Tips for storing pictures Th_1976_purley_Shellsport_G8_Championship_round_up_zps7cn94s79

Tips for storing pictures 1976_purley_Shellsport%20G8%20Championship%20round_up_zpsqbeyo6mu
f1asag
f1asag
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down