Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sources

+3
Hulsebos Hans
elio252
dawe
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sources Empty Re: Sources

Post by dawe Thu 16 Apr - 9:01

What is the point of enlarging 600 pixels preview picture to 1800 pixels?
dawe
dawe
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by elio252 Sat 18 Apr - 11:32

dawe wrote:What is the point of enlarging 600 pixels preview picture to 1800 pixels?

Will be the bad boy , but we have to stop upload pics from well known sites.
Photoshop is good, but calm down mates! Rarities is what we want.
Sorry, forum is great anyway!
elio252
elio252
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulsebos Hans Sat 18 Apr - 14:39

elio252 wrote:
dawe wrote:What is the point of enlarging 600 pixels preview picture to 1800 pixels?

Will be the bad boy , but we have to stop upload pics from well known sites.
Photoshop is good, but calm down mates! Rarities is what we want.
Sorry, forum is great anyway!

Agree with the fact that enlarging these images too much is pretty useless. I do post them all in my updates for RbR. Enlarged from 600 to 900 pixels and sometimes I photoshop the watermark away from the original 1024 pixel download. Won't mention the source but we all know it of course. Personally I think we should go on on this basis before the "well-known" sites also start watermarking the preview. That's how we lost thousands of shots from another "well known" site because ALL sizes are now watermarked in a horrible way. Besides the RbR section is not based on rarities but tries to give a pictorial overview from a GP in the most complete way.

An example for the Watson photo from Japan

a Sources 7707-Japan-600 (600 pixel original preview)

b Sources 7707-Japan-900 (900 pixel enlarged and enhanced preview)

c Sources 7707-Japan-1024 (1024 pixel original download, watermark removed)

I think using option b or c (c is not always possible) is fine for the Forum.....don't care about the numbers of photos which are uploaded. I like as many as there are Very Happy
Hulsebos Hans
Hulsebos Hans
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by dawe Sat 18 Apr - 19:08

Hans thank you for your answer. But i 100% agree with elio252, we should only aim for rarity pictures with watermarks removed (your option c).

I just cant understand posting hundreds of enlarged previews when there are many better pictures in RbR already. Personally i have never downloaded single one 900 pixels enlarged preview, they are too much "pixelated" in my opinion.

Would be nice to see more opinions from other members.
dawe
dawe
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Winners311 Sat 18 Apr - 20:21

We are a community... we are a fantastic community, because each member shares what is nearest to his ownpreferences... there is who shares few pics with high quality, who is interested to quantity, who is looking for only a single pic of each driver in each race and who wants to collect more pictures possible... there is not a right way to collect... but only rules to follow here as checking if the pictures you are going to upload is already in the Race by Race section... I don't like to much enlarged pictures but it is not so common on this group upload pictures with a bad quality... Every member is free to download what he prefers... we cannot say to other members what they have to look for or not because it is our hobby and not a job.

I really appreciate what Hans and Rodo are doing for them self and for all of us, I hope they would not change their kind of contributes!

Regards
Winners311
Winners311
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pannie Sun 19 Apr - 4:20

I actually dont like the aesthetic of 'mammoth' posts..

For example, after the recent updates I now have 273 pictures of Bandini in Monaco 67 and 185 of Brabham in Zandvoort 66, a lot of them 'pixelated'.

However....

Ever since I started my T-cars and practice cars thread, I have found an amazing amount of different configurations and liveries in these posts.

So for me, it is ok to have this size, if not for quality, at least for historical significance...

And as Winners said, everyone is free to download whatever they want
Pannie
Pannie
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

Back to top Go down

Sources Empty Sources

Post by Rob Ryder Sun 19 Apr - 8:54

My preference is quality not quantity, and I hope my posts reflect this.
It is a free forum though, so everyone to his own choice and long may it continue.
Rob

Note to mods... maybe these last few posts should be moved from the 1977 topic to a new topic in 'Sources' scratch
Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Winners311 Sun 19 Apr - 10:38

I moved this discussion here as you request Rob! Good idea!
Winners311
Winners311
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Ryder Sun 19 Apr - 20:10

Winners311 wrote: ... but the only rules to follow here as checking if the pictures you are going to upload is already in the Race by Race section...

I always used to do this before posting, but RbR is such a mess now that I don't bother. I don't mean a mess in the sense of the organisation, it is easy to follow, but there are just too many images. Many of the images are watermarked or of poor quality, even when good images are already included. Now I just post and let the members decide if they want to download.
Do we really need 40-50 images of the same car/driver from a single race?
The original intention of RbR was to have at least one image of every car/driver from every race, for reference. A FEW more if possible, from the YbY topic to be added.
Now it seems that everything is uploaded to RbR no matter what the quality/watermark/logo.
It would be a giant task to clean up RbR now, so just let it go.

2 more points/questions..

First .. I often wonder if the members who do the mega-upload/floods actually look at their images? I am selective in what I have on my PC and enjoy looking at the images and browsing through them before posting. I get the impression that some members just download as much as possible, as fast as possible, from the Net – use a program to modify all of the images – and upload automatically into one post. I wonder if they ever LOOK AT/enjoy their images?

Second.. If I was joining this forum now I don’t think I would reach 50 posts. If I had to stick to the rule of checking RbR for duplicate posts I would see the mega floods and think ‘it is a waste of time because everything is there’.
What is there for new members or enthusiastic old members to post anymore?

As you can guess, I am not a fan of mega-posts, race-floods, watermarked images, and poor quality.

I will still be posting, hopefully good quality images, and let the members do as they will.

Maybe I am having a bad day, but I still think that this is the best image forum on the Net and will still be an active member as long as I am breathing.

Rob
Rob Ryder
Rob Ryder
World Champion
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Winners311 Sun 19 Apr - 21:11

I try to answer your post:
I ask when a members is going to upload a pic on the forum to check if it is already in Rbr to not post always the same pictures, obviously since the number of pictures is increasing, look at the rbr is not easy I know... at the same time nobody has been charged when it happened.
(Please when it is possible continue to do it, it allows us to save a lot of time when we check what is already or not in the collection)

Why are we uploading everything to Race by Race from most of the years (except more recent years)?
I asked it to my self too and the answer was: Race by Race is the archive who all members should see when they want.. with all the pictures about a driver in a specific Race without go back in year by year every time...

I don't know if the other members are interested in what they download, I can say that I really like to look at all the pictures i download and i like to check these with my folders...

About the second question.. i can say that social networks as Facebook Twitter Instagram and ecc... are full of new images, each member has the possibility to search outside this forum and bring inside pictures he found... obviously a simply google research is not often enough.. but for example I found some F3000 pictures searching with google...

Some people own old magazine who never have been scanned and ecc... I think that all this kind of contributions would be welcome...

A little example: to build F3000 section I scanned all the images I found from 1987 to 1993 on Autosprint I own... a lot of hours,days,weeks of work with the scanner, canon software, photoshop and ecc.... I like to do it, and i like to share with you!

So a lot of new topics are growing up as F3000,F5000,F2, LeMans and ecc... there is the place for all of the contributions...

I know your point of view Rob, I think is correct you shared it, you are a member who has his ideas and who always respect the other members.. so please continue to be an integral part of this community...

Now... it is dinner time... I wish to all the member the BEST for them and for their families during these complicated days for all the people!

Regards
Winners311
Winners311
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum