Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C Empty Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C

Post by teslaf1electriquepriseX Sun 9 Oct - 23:47

Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C (I will add the links later)

First I want to share a big part of the credits about this development with   , whom has developped the brillant "GPL alike" physics for the conversion of the late 60's mods.  I used as a base,  before I modified it for each differents cars of 1955, trying my best to make them accurate with the data that I found, the physics that he have done for the  1967 Lotus 49.

I am not a physician, not a mechanic and I don't consider myself a pro in the developement of cars physics for this game, since there's a lot of parameters that I did'nt considered and modified but I experimented a lot and I try my best to make the cars physics of this wonderful mod more accurate, enjoyable and challenging.

Here, I will give you the links of the newer physics for that mod (this mod, by Luigi70, otherwise is already released, here also is the link, without the new physics) that I currently develop, so you will be able to provide me feedback and, if you want to play with this epic mod, to enjoy it with, I think, much more accurate and challenging physics. Before, I just want to try it at Monza'1955 track (CTD, archive corrupted, see below, last paragraph) to test it on a very fast 1955 track. I would like also to try it at Monaco.

I will discuss about the data, the one that I got and the ones that would be helpful to find. I will resume what I did to develop these physics and tell you the about questions and problems  that I have with it.

First, the french Wikipedia's articles, specific about each GP of 1955 was very helpful, not only to get qualifications laptimes and the results, they're also give, for each races, the bhp/ch of the differents cars, their weight (often) and some others good infos.  I found elsewhere, in differents articles, the top speed of the cars except for the Vanwall (VW55, not VW2 ?!!!), the 2 Connaught B and the Gordini T16.  In some cases, it was not precise or unclear about which evolution of the cars it was provide, I will mention it right here with the links. I did'nt find precise infos about accelerations (0-100, etc...) Don't hesitate to provide me much more pertinent infos! While researching these data, I found some others precious data and infos. Especially for the Mercedes, I found this precious document about the development of the RFactor physic of this car.

With these data, it was at least enough to start the work. First, I putted the value of the cars weight in their respective .hdv files, since it affect both the top speed and the behavior of the cars.

Secondly, I've read that the rear tyres was only  7" large and the front one was 6". In comparison, The Lotus 49 had 13" wide rear wheels and initially 8" wide front, replaced later in the season by 10" wide, its almost half the wide (7/13) for the rear tyres and around 2/3 wide (6/10 or 6/8 for the front tyres). So I cut it proportionaly in the .tbc files, by changing (I multiplied by the ratio that I just mentionned) the data, not not only of the width (it was not so effective) but also the values at the ilnes called  (there's data of 20 lines to change: one for the dry and one for the wet for both Front and Rear Tyres for of each (5) types of Compound, asked me if you want to work on cars physics for F!C and if you don't understand this quick explainations).

As you may know, a big distinction between the 1955 F1 cars and the 60's one is that the olders one had front-engine. I was'nt able to find precise data concerning the weight balance, so I temporarly put it 50/50 (It was set to 60 at the rear and 40 at the front for the Lotus 49) If you find more data or info concerning this, please share it!

At this stage, I was curious to test the behaviour of the car, even if I knew that with the 420-400 ch of 3.0 L Cosworth instead of the 290 ch 2.5 L of the Mercedes, it should had been even much more hard to control this skating beast and even if I knew that there's a lot of others influencial parameters that could had been adjust at this point.

Ok, I will finish this blah-blah later if there's an interest for it. I skipped  the description of hours of development, c'est à dire ajusting the data of many engines,  the tuning to get the top speed accurate which included a lot of testing with differents aerodynamics values and gear setting for each cars and the brakes, all this in consideration of the laptimes for the differents circuits...

At this point of the development...:

The top speed of the differents cars are not perfect but close. Lancia does'nt reached 185 mph (a surprizing data that I read), otherwise, it would had been unbeatable and too quick on lap time. I can try to find a solution, like putting even less brakes (it has already less than the Mercedes). AI cars are a bit faster then me at Mulsanne, I guess it is because I attacked exit of the curve before much slower but may be it is caused by AI parameters (there's no AI files but there's is some parameters to simplified the calcul of in the AI in the .hdv, the .tbc and the engine.ini files. I have still no data about the top speed for the Vanwall VW55, the Connaught B and the Gordini T16. Others data are also imprecise (Mercedes, over 300 km/h ? Is it only the Streamliner? Maserati 290 km/h: Is it with the 250ch or the 270ch that ran only at Monza on all cars? Is it only for the Streamliner? 270 km/h for the Gordini T32, is it for the initial 800kg mastodonte  that ran miserably in 1955 at Monza? )

The chrono at the differents circuits are somewhat close to the real one and seems to respect enough well the relative performance of the differents cars (Lancia and Mercedes are generally quicker that the rest, behind it is very close between the Maserati and the Ferrari 555 or 625 and depending of the track one of them (Maserati or Ferrari) had a little advantage as it should be, the english cars sometimes challenge them quite well, the Gordini T16 can compete with the slowest drivers. The Gordini T32 and Ferrari 500F2 are closing the packs . Since the Vanwall and the Connaught were very light (570kg and 590kg) with 250 ch, to make the Ferrari 555 and Maserati a litlle bit more competitiuve, I put less brake torque (but more durability) on the english cars, which is concordant with a text that was wrote about the victory of Tony Brooks against the Italians cars, at the Syracuse non-championnship F1 race, but I don't know if I handicap to much... I mean, the chronos Ferrari and Maserati were generally faster than the one of the Connaught at Aintree (the only participation of the team in a championship race in 1955) but not at all at Syracuse, where it win the race with Tony Brooks behind the wheel! So I guess I will bring down driver's cornering habilty of the Connaught's driver of Aintree in the drivers folders and put up a little bit the brake. So, that way, if we put Tony Brooks behind the wheel again at Syracuse, well...

Set at 100% for the AI performance:

At Zandvoordt, the faster cars (Mercedes) in the mod was around 1 seconds faster than in the real.  I was able to follow them until I made mistake. The problem is that I do many little mistake! (my controller is the keyboard and I drive these "skating cars" without  driving assistance except for shifting and traction) With the Gordini, my best was 1m49, the other Gordini was around 1m44s

At Aintree, they ran it in 2m3s, so they were 2.5 sec slower. Not ideal but not too bad. I'm not use to this track, I did'nt remember the breaking point, so I went off in the 3 laps that I made...

The version on Spa circuit used in the mod is 1 kilometer too short. The real one was 14.120 km and the one in the mod is 13.200 km, according to the .gdb.  Obviously, my times was too quick and I lost a lots of time stupidly, I knocked my head trying different ways to slowed down the cars on the fast circuits without compromising the top speed and the performance on slowed circuit. It seemed almost impossible at this level, so I finaly checked if the length of the circuits was ok... and it was not. So I can't really test the chronos for 1955 here at Spa actually but that was a lots of fun to race there and I was excited to be able in the Mercedes to follow Kling (Mercedes also) pretty close for a long time, at 100% AI, until I've done some mistakes.

Argentina's track also is not accurate for 1955, since it was 3.910 km and the .gdb indicate 3 345 m

I have CTD at Monza and Monaco, it was written that these files was corrupted when I decompressed the 1955 mod. At Monza, the trace file indicate that a .bmp file was missing in the .mas.  I've checked the .mas, many .bmp was displayed correctly but for many of them, it was only written "(error)". I checked the other PhilRob 60's Monza at Wookey's page and it was a shorter track. So if you can post the good 10km 1955's version of Monza or the 1960_Monzamap.MAS and may be the 1960_Monza.MAS, that would be awsome!

teslaf1electriquepriseX
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C Empty Re: Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C

Post by Cristian Luis Mon 10 Oct - 1:17

teslaf1electriquepriseX wrote:Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C (I will add the links later)

First I want to share a big part of the credits about this development with   , whom has developped the brillant "GPL alike" physics for the conversion of the late 60's mods.  I used as a base,  before I modified it for each differents cars of 1955, trying my best to make them accurate with the data that I found, the physics that he have done for the  1967 Lotus 49.

I am not a physician, not a mechanic and I don't consider myself a pro in the developement of cars physics for this game, since there's a lot of parameters that I did'nt considered and modified but I experimented a lot and I try my best to make the cars physics of this wonderful mod more accurate, enjoyable and challenging.

Here, I will give you the links of the newer physics for that mod (this mod, by Luigi70, otherwise is already released, here also is the link, without the new physics) that I currently develop, so you will be able to provide me feedback and, if you want to play with this epic mod, to enjoy it with, I think, much more accurate and challenging physics. Before, I just want to try it at Monza'1955 track (CTD, archive corrupted, see below, last paragraph) to test it on a very fast 1955 track. I would like also to try it at Monaco.

I will discuss about the data, the one that I got and the ones that would be helpful to find. I will resume what I did to develop these physics and tell you the about questions and problems  that I have with it.

First, the french Wikipedia's articles, specific about each GP of 1955 was very helpful, not only to get qualifications laptimes and the results, they're also give, for each races, the bhp/ch of the differents cars, their weight (often) and some others good infos.  I found elsewhere, in differents articles, the top speed of the cars except for the Vanwall (VW55, not VW2 ?!!!), the 2 Connaught B and the Gordini T16.  In some cases, it was not precise or unclear about which evolution of the cars it was provide, I will mention it right here with the links. I did'nt find precise infos about accelerations (0-100, etc...) Don't hesitate to provide me much more pertinent infos! While researching these data, I found some others precious data and infos. Especially for the Mercedes, I found this precious document about the development of the RFactor physic of this car.

With these data, it was at least enough to start the work. First, I putted the value of the cars weight in their respective .hdv files, since it affect both the top speed and the behavior of the cars.

Secondly, I've read that the rear tyres was only  7" large and the front one was 6". In comparison, The Lotus 49 had 13" wide rear wheels and initially 8" wide front, replaced later in the season by 10" wide, its almost half the wide (7/13) for the rear tyres and around 2/3 wide (6/10 or 6/8 for the front tyres). So I cut it proportionaly in the .tbc files, by changing (I multiplied by the ratio that I just mentionned) the data, not not only of the width (it was not so effective) but also the values at the ilnes called  (there's data of 20 lines to change: one for the dry and one for the wet for both Front and Rear Tyres for of each (5) types of Compound, asked me if you want to work on cars physics for F!C and if you don't understand this quick explainations).

As you may know, a big distinction between the 1955 F1 cars and the 60's one is that the olders one had front-engine. I was'nt able to find precise data concerning the weight balance, so I temporarly put it 50/50 (It was set to 60 at the rear and 40 at the front for the Lotus 49) If you find more data or info concerning this, please share it!

At this stage, I was curious to test the behaviour of the car, even if I knew that with the 420-400 ch of 3.0 L Cosworth instead of the 290 ch 2.5 L of the Mercedes, it should had been even much more hard to control this skating beast and even if I knew that there's a lot of others influencial parameters that could had been adjust at this point.

Ok, I will finish this blah-blah later if there's an interest for it. I skipped  the description of hours of development, c'est à dire ajusting the data of many engines,  the tuning to get the top speed accurate which included a lot of testing with differents aerodynamics values and gear setting for each cars and the brakes, all this in consideration of the laptimes for the differents circuits...

The top speed of the differents cars are not perfect but close. Lancia does'nt reached 185 mph (a surprizing data that I read), otherwise, it would had been unbeatable and too quick on lap time. I can try to find a solution, like putting even less brakes (it has already less than the Mercedes). AI cars are a bit faster then me at Mulsanne, I guess it is because I attacked exit of the curve before much slower but may be it is caused by AI parameters (there's no AI files but there's is some parameters to simplified the calcul of in the AI in the .hdv, the .tbc and the engine.ini files. I have still no data about the top speed for the Vanwall VW55, the Connaught B and the Gordini T16. Others data are also imprecise (Mercedes, over 300 km/h ? Is it only the Streamliner? Maserati 290 km/h: Is it with the 250ch or the 270ch that ran only at Monza on all cars? Is it only for the Streamliner? 270 km/h for the Gordini T32, is it for the initial 800kg mastodonte  that ran miserably in 1955 at Monza? )

The chrono at the differents circuits are somewhat close to the real one and seems to respect enough well the relative performance of the differents cars (Lancia and Mercedes are generally quicker that the rest, behind it is very close between the Maserati and the Ferrari 555 or 625 and depending of the track one of them (Maserati or Ferrari) had a little advantage as it should be, the english cars sometimes challenge them quite well, the Gordini T16 can compete with the slowest drivers. The Gordini T32 and Ferrari 500F2 are closing the packs . Since the Vanwall and the Connaught were very light (570kg and 590kg) with 250 ch, to make the Ferrari 555 and Maserati a litlle bit more competitiuve, I put less brake torque (but more durability) on the english cars, which is concordant with a text that was wrote about the victory of Tony Brooks against the Italians cars, at the Syracuse non-championnship F1 race, but I don't know if I handicap to much... I mean, the chronos Ferrari and Maserati were generally faster than the one of the Connaught at Aintree (the only participation of the team in a championship race in 1955) but not at all at Syracuse, where it win the race with Tony Brooks behind the wheel! So I guess I will bring down driver's cornering habilty of the Connaught's driver of Aintree in the drivers folders and put up a little bit the brake. So, that way, if we put Tony Brooks behind the wheel again at Syracuse, well...

At Zandvoordt, the faster cars (Mercedes) in the mod was around 1 seconds faster than in the real.  I was able to follow them until I made mistake. The problem is that I do many little mistake! (my controller is the keyboard and I drive these "skating cars" without  driving assistance except for shifting and traction) With the Gordini, my best was 1m49, the other Gordini was around 1m44s

At Aintree, they ran it in 2m3s, so they were 2.5 sec slower. Not ideal but not too bad. I'm not use to this track, I did'nt remember the breaking point, so I went off in the 3 laps that I made...

The version on Spa circuit used in the mod is 1 kilometer too short. The real one was 14.120 km and the one in the mod is 13.200 km, according to the .gdb.  Obviously, my times was too quick and I lost a lots of time stupidly, I knocked my head trying different ways to slowed down the cars on the fast circuits without compromising the top speed and the performance on slowed circuit. It seemed almost impossible at this level, so I finaly checked if the length of the circuits was ok... and it was not. So I can't really test the chronos for 1955 here at Spa actually but that was a lots of fun to race there and I was excited to be able in the Mercedes to follow Kling (Mercedes also) pretty close for a long time, at 100% AI, until I've done some mistakes.

Argentina's track also is not accurate for 1955, since it was 3.910 km and the .gdb indicate 3 345 m

I have CTD at Monza and Monaco, it was written that these files was corrupted when I decompressed the 1955 mod. At Monza, the trace file indicate that a .bmp file was missing in the .mas.  I've checked the .mas, many .bmp was displayed correctly but for many of them, it was only written "(error)". I checked the other PhilRob 60's Monza at Wookey's page and it was a shorter track. So if you can post the good 10km 1955's version of Monza or the 1960_Monzamap.MAS and may be the 1960_Monza.MAS, that would be awsome!

The real track distance is not indicated in gdb files, but in AIW files.

lap_length=x(xxxx.xxxxxx)

Have you look the data of 1955 engines? Maybe something could be done with PhysicsEditor.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

https://f1challenge9902repository.blogspot.com.es/

Back to top Go down

Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C Empty Re: Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C

Post by teslaf1electriquepriseX Mon 10 Oct - 2:08

Cristian Luis wrote:
teslaf1electriquepriseX wrote:Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C (I will add the links later)

The top speed of the differents cars are not perfect but close. Lancia does'nt reached 185 mph (a surprizing data that I read), otherwise, it would had been unbeatable and too quick on lap time, if I reduce the aerodynamics resistance to get it. I can try to find a solution, like putting even less brakes (it has already less than the Mercedes) (and less aero resistance). AI cars are a bit faster then me at Mulsanne, I guess it is because I attacked exit of the curve before much slower but may be it is caused by AI parameters (there's no AI files but there's is some parameters to simplified the calcul of in the AI in the .hdv, the .tbc and the engine.ini files. I have still no data about the top speed for the Vanwall VW55, the Connaught B and the Gordini T16. Others data are also imprecise (Mercedes, over 300 km/h ? Is it only the Streamliner? Maserati 290 km/h: Is it with the 250ch or the 270ch that ran only at Monza on all cars? Is it only for the Streamliner? 270 km/h for the Gordini T32, is it for the initial 800kg mastodonte  that ran miserably in 1955 at Monza? )

The real track distance is not indicated in gdb files, but in AIW files.

lap_length=x(xxxx.xxxxxx)

Have you look the data of 1955 engines? Maybe something could be done with PhysicsEditor.

I'm not familiar with .AIW files editor, can you check it, to see if its differents, for the Spa's and Argentina's 1955 tracks included in the 1955 mods please?

Yes, of course I checked and use the data of the engines of each differents cars to make them, I mentionned it. As I also said, I skipped the description of all the work that I did cause it would had been too long for today and I wanted to show to Luigi that I worked on it.

teslaf1electriquepriseX
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by teslaf1electriquepriseX Mon 10 Oct - 2:39

P.S. Check this video "Dangerous Classic F1 - 1955 Belgium GP - Fast Friday". Only in the first S after the starting line (I think its call the Radillion), at 12m53s in the video, the distance between the 2 curves are obviously not accurate in the 1955 Spa's track include in the mod. Also, in the aerian view at the beginning you can see that the last section of the circuit's in the F1C track, between Stavellot and La Source really seem to have more extra curves. So, when I read that the track is 1km shorter in the .gdb files than in the real, I have no problem to trust it. That's not a big deal but It does'nt seem perfectly accurate for 1955 for tuning the cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xWL0wCfIFU

Last edited by teslaf1electriquepriseX on Mon 10 Oct - 5:31; edited 2 times in total

teslaf1electriquepriseX
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by teslaf1electriquepriseX Mon 10 Oct - 3:31

P.S. no.2:

(1950_Spa.aiw) lap_lengh=13978.802734

The real track was supposed to be 14.120 km. So, I guess, it is may be the reason why the laptime is 12s/258s quicker and its not so ideal to race here to evaluate the accuracy. 142 meters is really not so much but if the difference in the layout really affect the speed at some point, it can be determinant. In the video, I think it seem pretty obvious that the first S after the starting lines is not fully accurate and somewhat longer in the real track.

By the way, in the garage, it is display that the cars have only 0.93 G force (in the curves). It was suppose to be between 0.75 and 1.0. so even at this stage of the development, since the laptimes elsewhere and the top speed are pretty accurate, I guess its not so bad already...

teslaf1electriquepriseX
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Mon 10 Oct - 10:12

teslaf1electriquepriseX wrote:I'm not familiar with .AIW files editor, can you check it, to see if its differents, for the Spa's and Argentina's 1955 tracks included in the 1955 mods please?

Of course.

Old Spa layout in real life:
 Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C Spa-Francorchamps_map2

Old Spa layout in F1C:
 Development of the new physics for the 1955 mods for F1C 1960_s10

Differences:
The real track has a lot of differences in elevation changes. Some of them can't be seen or felt in F1C.
Eau Rouge and Raidillon were much tighter in 1955.
Kemmel curves is just a plain straight in F1C. In F1C, the track has also no elevation changes at that specific point.
In F1C, Burnenville is not as tight as in real life.
Malmedy is a different corner in F1C, and slower.
Masta in F1C is wider, and faster.
The last straight before the start-finish line is shorter in F1C.
Overall, F1C's Spa is shorter, faster, a little bit wider and easier to drive.

For Buenos Aires, I need the AIW file.

Regards,
Cristian
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by F1CFan1804 Mon 10 Oct - 10:29

I always wondered why Spa was so feared, when it's this easy and boring to drive. I'd never bothered to check the differences between the real layout and the F1C layout, which does explain a lot Smile

F1CFan1804
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristian Luis Mon 10 Oct - 10:37

F1CFan1804 wrote:I always wondered why Spa was so feared, when it's this easy and boring to drive. I'd never bothered to check the differences between the real layout and the F1C layout, which does explain a lot Smile

Because the old Spa Francorchamps's corners never were flat (in F1C most of them are plain 3D object roads and with any sort of bumps). You have in your hands a 300-400 horse-powered car, with no wings, no training in virtual reality and racing simulators, and very little downforce. Taking well all corners could make the difference in seconds (because all of them but La Source were very quick). In F1C, 3D objects in old Spa are not as close to the road as in the real old Spa.

Also... remember that an off track often causes a tragedy in this circuit. The slightest error of any kind was punished very harshly. That's not the case in the F1C version, in which is very difficult to make mistakes.
Cristian Luis
Cristian Luis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by teslaf1electriquepriseX Mon 10 Oct - 12:56

Wow, thanks a lot Cristian Luis for all these information!!! So may be, that's what I was thinking, that Spa's 1955 for F1C/GPL is not the best track for developing the physics of a cars in term of accuracy. May be Monza's 1955 should be much helpful to test the chronos on a fast track. Am I the only one to got CTD and a message saying that the Monza .mas file is corrupted when I decompress the 1955 mod's rar files? I try to re-download and I have the same message in part3 of the 1955 mod... I've download a "Brianza" track with the oval elsewhere some years ago (with a modern look) but there's 2 chicanes...

teslaf1electriquepriseX
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Luigi 70 Mon 10 Oct - 14:22

I checked the link and and still working. Anyway I reloaded the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/grroi95ngegeoim/F1_1955.part3.rar
Luigi 70
Luigi 70
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next