Wookey motor-racing history and simulation forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inertia editing

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Inertia editing Empty Inertia editing

Post by jdavidson89 Sat 17 Apr - 7:37

Hello, I've been working on making the 1950 season from F1 Challenge VB mod by Valpaso75 more realistic in in the physics department, I am using the developer tools v5 programs and I have 2 questions for anyone who might help?

1 I can't seem to get the mat editor to work, I have the latest java installed but it just won't load.

2 I used to have a nice graphical inertia program I used for calculating car inertias, I was hoping the mat program might have been it as I can't remember what it was called but I can't find it anywhere, also if anyone has any ideas about a good way to calculate inertias or any physics ideas in general I'm all ears. I'm pretty good with physics and math, but I keep getting the cars to be just undrivable they are soo hard to control so I'm trying to find a fine line between accurate lap times/speeds and not impossible to drive. I use the spreadsheets from developers toolbox or a manual calculation i found online:

pitch=curb weight/12(Length^2+Height^2)
yaw=curb weight/12(Length^2+Width^2)
roll=curb weight/12(Width^2+Height^2)

I've tried both sets plus a few others I have found but haven't been happy with any so far, either they are too fast or have soo much oversteer they are undrivable. The rest of the physics I am happy with I think, I use the actually length, width, height, front track, rear track, wheelbase, weight, fuel tank size, I looked up tire size as best i could find. I used physics editor to make the engine maps as accurate as possible. I use gear ratio calculator to set the top speed that is attainable mostly by adjusting the bevel until it is accurate. But inertia seems to be the factor I can't figure out, if any experienced physics editors have input as to another thing I am overlooking I'm all ears I'm just kinda stumped at this last hurdle. Also since it is 1950 cars I removed all entries for wings, diffusers, brake duct intakes, track bars and spring suspensions in the hdv as from reading alot of files(mostly about rfactor but I know that is just a new game engine evolution) they state I could remove them and the cars do load fine. I haven't played with tire grip maps as I don't fully understand them and I am using files made for a 1950 mod prior so I am just going with hopefully they were accurate. the suspension files I've mostly only edited some weights in them so far as I don't have a nice way to physically view the dimensions, the program i am hoping to find actually had a nice graphical window for the dimensions as well I wish I still had that program.

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Luigi 70 and OLarrauri like this post

Back to top Go down

Inertia editing Empty Re: Inertia editing

Post by Luigi 70 Sat 17 Apr - 18:13

Personally in the past I used Car Factory by Kangaloosh (a old software created for rfactor 1, but  no longer working today)...
so I think that a good spreadsheet is this:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hatl8zhnquqaf81/26-Car+Data+Spreadsheet.7z/file

it's inserted in the "developer toolbox" of this topic,where, if you have the patience to download, you will find many useful things :
https://wookey.forumotion.com/t1315-f1-challenge-developer-toolbox-v5?highlight=Developer+s+corner

which I thing you are already using Laughing

Last edited by Luigi 70 on Sat 17 Apr - 18:20; edited 1 time in total
Luigi 70
Luigi 70
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

jdavidson89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jdavidson89 Sat 17 Apr - 18:20

Ill check you spreadsheet on my computer later i have the toolbox already thats what i use, after my message last night i was reading about adjusting the brake torque so i might try that tonight as well thanks

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Luigi 70 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jdavidson89 Sat 17 Apr - 18:20

You beat me to my reply:p

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by OLarrauri Sat 17 Apr - 18:36

Last edited by OLarrauri on Sat 17 Apr - 19:00; edited 1 time in total
OLarrauri
OLarrauri
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by OLarrauri Sat 17 Apr - 18:40

Inertia editing I4ttjp10

for 1950, n terms of the Formula one tyres, skinny, treaded tyres were used as standard on both the front and rear on the early Formula One cars and were sized 5.50-16.

Pirelli; front, 5.50 x 17 or 5.50 x 18; rear, 7.00 x 18 or 7.00 x 19 (nominal sizes)

With a Dunlop R5, 5.50-17, mounted on a 4 inch wide rim, it would have an inflated diameter of 28.1 inches, an inflated o/a width of 6.5 inches and a tread width of 3.8 inches.

A 5.50-18 Dunlop R1, 4 inch rim, the figures are 29.8, 6.7 and 4.1 inches.

A 7.00-18 Dunlop R1, 5 inch rim, 32.1, 8.8 and 5.4 inches.

A 7.00-19 Dunlop R1, 5 inch rim, 33.3, 9.0 and 5.4 inches.

Alfa Type 159 - Front - 5.50x17, Rear 7.00 x 17
Maserati 4CLT - Front - 5.50 x 16, Rear 6.50 x 16

Last edited by OLarrauri on Sat 17 Apr - 18:51; edited 1 time in total
OLarrauri
OLarrauri
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by OLarrauri Sat 17 Apr - 18:50

Quote from The Grand Prix Car: Volume Two (c. 1956): "Positive camber is preferred because it allows for a smaller contact patch on straights, and therefore less rolling resistance. Under braking and through corners, the weight transfer allows for more tyre on the track and more grip."

The cars of that era were able to hit 300km/h+. That's absolutely ridiculous when you consider that the internal combustion engine was still a relatively new invention at the time, and even period aircraft were not traveling significantly faster than that.
OLarrauri
OLarrauri
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by jdavidson89 Sat 17 Apr - 19:12

Well ill take a look tonight thank you for the info and links, i could share my findings if you want on tire dimensions they are mostly similar to what you have and ive been searching online for the tires of the time to get more info on them.

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

OLarrauri likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OLarrauri Sat 17 Apr - 23:35

jdavidson89 wrote:Well ill take a look tonight thank you for the info and links,  i could share my findings if you want on tire dimensions they are mostly similar to what you have and ive been searching online for the tires of the time to get more info on them.

best luck mate!
OLarrauri
OLarrauri
Competition racer
Competition racer

Back to top Go down

Post by jdavidson89 Sun 18 Apr - 6:21

So I decided to try and see how my calculations would be for a car from the game originally, I am doing the 1999 Ferrari F399, My engine mapping is very accurate so I am very happy with that, I am trying to get the inertia's and all my calculations are way off of what the original F1C inertia is for that car, the methods i have tried are as follows:

The equation method I previously mentioned is one
The Car data beta4 fixed.xlsm file from the developer's toolbox
The fisicas-f1.xlsm file from the developer's toolbox I am trying currently but I have some questions that are kinda dumb sorry:

I have attached the photo with the spots circled that I have no idea what they are asking, I'm sorry I don't really know spanish I think the bottom 2 might be the front track and rear track but the 0.67 I have no idea at all. I think this is the calculation CMT uses for there mods and from what I know those guys are pretty good with the physics aspect so I'd love to try this formula if I could figure out what to do.

Inertia editing Huh10

jdavidson89
Sunday Driver
Sunday Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum